June 11, 2013

Book madness

Book madness of the best variety.

I mentioned before that I'd arbitrarily decided to read ten books in a month. I had just finished a book that took me longer to finish than it should have, not to mention the count of books I own but haven't read yet was nearing 100. (Yes, I keep track. My Librarything is very carefully cataloged.) It's still not far off from that number, because even while reading those ten books, I still bought more. But you know.

I read ten books in a month.

I'm not talking Ulysses, here. Just some of the lighter novels hanging around, some short stories, a couple young adult novels. Even a self help book. But still. One month. Ten books. I did it.

The thing I found most interesting is that I wasn't any less busy than I'd been before. While reading, I still went to a play, and to the movies, and watched stuff on Netflix. I volunteered at the university's graduation ceremony, went camping for my birthday, rode roller coasters at Cliff's Amusement Park, and saw Mumford and Sons in Taos last week. (It was awesome, in spite of the rain and hail.)

So even though I don't plan to keep trying to finish a book every three days, I do plan to keep reading harder than I have been.

Even though the first book I plan to read now is A Storm of Swords. Once I finish Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey. Man, that guy is verbose.

No comments: