December 3, 2008

Plotting and scheming

This is something you'll most likely come to learn about me.

In things like blogs, I tend to be vague at first, and then come back and explain a day or two later. Explaining time.

Post-college life isn't going the way I'd prefer so far. Granted, it's going pretty much exactly the way it does the average post-college kid. Like I said, most boring job in the world, which has nothing even remotely to do with what I want to do with my life. I went to college to lead a ridiculous life, but so far it's a pretty normal one. And nobody can fix that but me, so I will.

I've been thinking about this for a month now. Because a month ago, the most boring job in the world, which was a temp job, offered me a permanent spot, and a promotion. After two really crappy days of wrestling with the decision, I told them I didn't want the promotion. But the economy sucks so bad, I can't not have a job. So I stayed on in the same position I had. But somehow, I stepped into my supervisor's job today. Somehow I ended up taking that promotion, even though I told them I didn't want it. So now more than ever, I need more ridiculous in my life.

They're a great company, but it's not for me. They're aiming for Fortune 500, and I never even imagined sitting at a desk for a living, unless that desk held an antique typewriter on which I'm writing the next Griffin and Sabine. Corporate life is the last thing I want. I'm convinced I'd be endlessly happier scribbling and knitting and dancing as fast as I can while still making ends meet. But like I said, economy, blargh! But it's only forty hours a week, and it's pretty mindless work. Even with the promotion. So I've been plotting and scheming, and my brilliant plan is taking shape.

This new spot automatically comes with coming in later and leaving later. So I've got more time in the mornings. Which means I can fit in an hour of writing every morning. EVERY MORNING! I realize every aspiring writer says they're going to do that about eighty-three times before the handful that actually succeed manage to build up a habit, but consider this my eighty-fourth time. So bright and early tomorrow morning, I'll be scribbling.

The other part of my plan is to work on the rest of my life. First and foremost, I need to dance again. I'm not myself when I'm not dancing. I came out of the womb dancing. So I'll be dancing again, and I'll do all I can not to stop.

Beyond that, I need a life. I moved halfway across the country when I graduated, and after almost six months here, I still haven't really made any friends my age. I've made a handful of older friends at the knit salon, and Boy-Creature's friends are cool, but they're his friends, not mine. So I need to get out more. I need to see more and do exciting things. Like field trips for semi-adults (I'm so not an adult yet.). There's so much going on in this city, and I haven't done enough of it. So I'm going to do more of it.

I'm going to do more of everything.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can definitely relate. Got outta college, picked up some random job whilst searching for a "real" job in my field. Now the economy's dipping and I need this slave labor. So I'm just trying to keep afloat and get back to what I love... maybe even try plenty of new things... like karate? Anyways, best of luck to ya.

Argentos of Windurst said...

Heh, the only Blogspot account I have is the character blog I had (which I should really start posting in again) so that's how you're getting commented. So there.

Hi Kat. It's Cesar.

Also, NEEDS MOAR ROCKETTE AUDITIONS.

Seriously.

Tamara said...

WIFEY!!!!! Oh how I have missed you!

Emily said...

I used to read your diaryland diary. I used to be on dland, but am on blogger now. I was "ethereal-red" on dland. Anyway...

I need a lot more ridiculous in my life, too! My life is completely plotted and scheduled and it's rather boring.