September 20, 2009

Ten days to go

I was going to say there's nothing new on the book front this week, but that's not entirely true. I'm still reading Unweaving the Rainbow, but it's going slow because I've been so busy.

The only other thing I'm reading is J.G. Ballard's Vermilion Sands. Re-reading, I should say. I've known for ages that I can't sleep without reading something, but lately I'm learning that fiction works better. So I've been randomly picking short stories out of the book and reading them until I fall asleep. Maybe I'll finish, maybe I won't, but I'm ok either way.

It's been a good weekend, though. Boy-Creature and I drove up to Julian yesterday and went apple-picking.


And then we hung around the town. We ate the best pie I've ever tasted at a little place called Mom's. It was apple cherry crumb, and I actually said "Oh my god," after the first bite. It was incredible. I wish I could have had more. We had cherry sodas at the old-fashioned soda fountain, too. It was a really nice day. And I have to say, there's nothing like eating slices of apple right off the tree that are perfectly sweet and warm from the sun.

Today, I've been knitting and baking. I made gingerbread, which is cooling on the stove right now. I'm hoping it came out ok. We have to be out of the apartment in ten days, so in addition to packing and taking things to Goodwill, I'm trying to use up as much food as I can. So now I'm out of flour, which is good, but I had a little less than the recipe called for. So I tried using some Bisquick as well. Fingers crossed. The batter tasted good, I can say that. And it looks right. I just hope it tastes right, too.

The knitting is most definitely going well, though. I finished my girly sweater this week. I just have to weave in the ends, and soak it in woolwash (Malabrigo smells kinda funny to me), and then that's it! Also, I successfully turned the heel on my first sock, and I've knit enough past the heel now that I was able to try it on. It fits! I think it'll be perfect. Finally! A sock that's going right! And it only took me five months.

1 comment:

JustMe said...

Dude! I am in San Diego too!